Friday, February 25, 2011

A sad day for me

A very important man in my life passed away today.  This man was my parent's best friend.  I won't get into the details but he has been in critical condition for the past week and based on his deteriorating condition, the family decided today it was time to let him go. 

Last Sunday I hit the road for 9 miles early in the morning.  I told my husband not to call me if my mom called to update us on his condition.  We were not sure if he was going to make it through Saturday night.  I prayed for the first mile of my run.  All of a sudden, I heard him say "I am ok Megg.  I am with Jesus now."  He said it 4 more times and then I wiped my tears, ran the next 8 miles and did not give it another thought.  I fully expected to walk in my front door and John tell me he did not make it through the night.  My response was going to be "I know.  He told me he is with Jesus now." 

We had some ups and downs over the next few days.  I did not tell anyone what I was told on my run because I desperately did not want that to be the case.  I wanted to think maybe a bus drove past me and I inhaled the fumes.  Tuesday afternoon we got the bad news that he may be brain dead due to coding before surgery on Saturday.  When my mom gave me the bad news, I shared my experience with my parents.  She told me if he does pass away, she wants me to tell his wife what he told me. 

He was taken off support today around 2:30 and passed shortly before 3:00.  It is believed that he has been brain dead since Saturday.  If that is the case, he was with Jesus Sunday morning when he told me that.  I don't understand why he was taken from us so soon but I am having an even harder time understanding why he chose me.  There were so many people praying for him.  Why did he decide to tell me that he is ok and with Jesus?  What does he want me to do with this information?  I feel incredibly honored that he spoke to me but I have to be honest and say I also feel burdened by this information.  My mom has her thoughts on why he chose me and she believes I am supposed to pass this information on this his wife.  She thinks his wife will find it comforting and will also understand why me.  I hope it is clear to me someday too.

Has anyone else ever been spoken to like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment