Monday, November 1, 2010

20 miles and 20 days left

My first marathon is 20 days from now.  I still can't believe it is coming up so quickly. 

I ran 20 miles yesterday and felt great!  It got a little sucky around mile 20 but I told myself to HTFU and I pushed my way through it.  Once I hit 15 miles, the last 5 miles flew!  I ran the whole 20 miles other than 2 quick 15 second walk breaks for a decent drink of water.  I went through 16 ounces of water, 16 ounces of Gatorade, and 3 gels.  I tried the Roctane gels at the suggestion of Julie from Hot Legs Runner and liked them.  I did not think I would like the flavor but it was not bad.  I think I will be hitting up the running store before the marathon. 

After my run I drank chocolate milk but could not even think about food.  The thought of food made me sick to my stomach.  I made sure I stayed hydrated and I still don't want food today. 

I am confident that I can physically run 26.2 miles!  Now it is all mental. 

I am going to head to the basement to run an easy few on the treadmill today.  I took a rest day a few weeks ago after I ran 17 and I think it slowed down my recovery.  I am the kind of runner than needs to run a few easy miles the day after a long run to loosen up my legs.  I may run/walk a few miles but I feel as though I need to do it.  Tomorrow afternoon I am heading to a friend's chiropractor office for a nice massage and I cannot wait!!

I am hoping for a good run in the morning and then again Wednesday morning.  John and I head on vacation Wednesday morning for a few days but I plan on running at least one day! 

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the run! I did my 20-miler, too. See you in Philly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. didn't you feel like a monster runner with the Roctane? haha! I know it doesn't have the yummiest flavors but I just think how much it will help me in terms of speed =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Sounds like a great run, and you certainly sound ready!

    ReplyDelete