Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanks to some Fabulous People

So many people helped me on my journey to 26.2.  These are in no particular order.

My mentor groups on http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/.  Love these guys as much as you can love people on the Internet you have never met in real life!  I was a part of two mentor groups this year and they both helped me get to where I am today.  Huge thanks to Sandra and Tim who have been encouraging me since middle of December of last year!  Thanks to Tim, Pete, Debbie, and Erica, the rest of Tim's group!  You guys are all wonderful people and I have enjoyed training with you guys the past few months.  I hope to keep up with you guys once we move on!  I loved having you guys check up on my logs and hope you will all continue our journeys together!  The people in both groups gave me advice, encouraged me, "inspired" me, and believed in me!

My ninjas...where would I be without that fabulous group of ladies!  I always refer to you guys as "my mom's group" but in reality you are all so much more than that!  You guys were there for me every step of this journey from the day I said I wanted to do a full marathon.  You all always believed in me.  When I started to doubt myself, you would not let me!  I hope all of our kids graduate high school, go to college, get married, and have babies together!  Well, maybe not together but I hope we experience the rest life has to offer together!

Amy...you helped me through a dark time and never gave up on me.  Thanks for being there to support me in the middle of that dreadful hill!  You should have been further up the hill.  The frat guys were still up drinking from the night before!  They were offering beer to all the runners.  You are a wonderful person, mama, and friend.  Thanks for everything BFF!!

Karin...Thanks for doing this journey with me.  Shame mine is over and you still have a bit of time!  You can do this and you will!!  I wish I could be there at the finish line with you.  Thanks for being there Sunday for me!

Colleen and Jacqui...thanks for trying to be out there on Sunday.  You guys trying to get there and wanting to be there for me means more than I can put into words.  You guys have also "seen" me during some dark days and you have supported me too.

Robyn...Also thanks for trying to get out to see me.  Hope the kiddos are feeling better!  Thanks for all the support and advice you gave me!

Ted...I firmly believe if you had not helped me out in January with orthotics I would not have run a marathon on Sunday!  I know you laughed at my feet but you never told me I could not run a marathon.  I actually remember your email response when I told you I wanted to come see you for orthotics.  You told me to make an appointment and you wanted me to run a marathon.  I never thought it would be this soon!  I know some other professionals would have told me I should not be running but you never told me that.  I am sure I was a pain in your butt over the past few months.  Thanks for feeding into my anxiety at times too.

Chris...I miss you so much!  I am ready to train with you anytime you are ready to!!  Like I said on facebook, thanks for making me run 2 years ago.  I told you I would never tell you no.  Who would have thought I would finish a marathon!  I am serious!  I want to train with you again!

Brian W...You encouraged me to do a triathlon last year.  Actually, you tried to get me to do a 5k 2 years ago and I said you were out of your mind!  How funny is that!!  I am sure I was a pain in your butt too but you have always encouraged me and answered my questions.  Hope we can do another triathlon together next year!

Paul...Thanks for giving me tons of tips and things to think about when we were visiting.  That talk alone got me through my 17 miler run after my sucky 16.  Can't wait to hear about Boston!!

Mullica Hill Women's Triathlon Club...Thanks to the lovely 4 ladies who got me over the wall around mile 20!  I am so glad you guys were there.  I was trying so hard to keep running and knowing you guys were somewhere there kept me moving.  I just could not let you guys see me walking!!  I hope to train with this group of ladies for some triathlons next year. 

Distance Dreamers and other bloggers...I am so glad I found you guys when I first started blogging.  It has been great to read about your running journeys.  I have learned quite a bit from reading your blogs.  I am inspired by quite a few of you!
Random spectators...I could go on and on about the people along the course on Sunday.  I wanted to marry the guy at the water stop somewhere in Manayunk who had a box of brownies.  I think that was the best thing I have ever eaten!  I saw him on my way back of an out and back loop but I did not have the energy to run to the other side of the road.  There was a guy right past mile 13 who yelled "Run Meggan, you got this baby."  I think he got me through the next mile.  I also appreciated the man somewhere between miles 24 and 25.  He told me I only had to run about 3/4 of a mile and then there were plenty of people to get me to the finish.  Just so much energy and support on the course!

My family (both of our families!)...Thanks for coming out in the cold Sunday morning and running all over the city to catch me at different times.  Thanks for helping me out with the boys so I can do these races or train.  Thanks for coming to my first race in 2009.  I know you guys all thought I was crazy when I changed my registration from the 5k to the 10 mile!  I love that you have a plan for spectating the Philly marathon if I do it again next year!  Your support means the world to me.

My aunt and uncle...thanks for watching the boys the day of the marathon and for my 2 longest runs!  I know my boys are tough so thanks for all your help.  They love you both so much and so do I!

All of our friends...All of the emails, texts, phone calls, and facebook messages have helped me so much.  It is nice to know that so many people believe in me!

My boys...I love getting L out of his crib in the morning.  The first thing he says to me now is "mommy run?"  I hope to get a runner out of one of my boys!  I feel like I am setting a great example for them. 

And John...I do not know where to even begin.  I can only wonder what went through his mind earlier this year when I seriously started talking about the Philly marathon.  If he had any doubts or reservations about it, he never once voiced them.  I made a promise to myself that training for the marathon would not take away from too much family time.  Most of my training took place at 5am on the treadmill to honor that promise.  When I felt beat down, you were there for me.  When I was convinced I could not do it, you told me I could.  Thanks for realizing that running makes me a happier mama!  I guess training was not that bad since you have already asked me when my next one would be.  Thanks for supporting me, encouraging me, believing in me, and loving me.  Love you so much babe!!

3 comments:

  1. I remember trying to disguise my shock when I first saw yoour feet! ha! SO PSYCED for you! Too bad I only saw you for that one second on Kelly Drive - it really turned into a crazy day. Fun tho!
    Kasey's Garmin read 26.4 as well...I demand a recalibration of the finish time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ted, I still tell people about that! I did it though and I will do it again. I was cursing every step past 26.2! Kasey rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so blessed to be surrounded by wonderful people! love it! =)

    Thanks for joining my thanksgiving blog hop =)

    ReplyDelete