Saturday, September 4, 2010

Long Run and Hurricane Earl!

I kept changing my running plans for the week since we are at the shore for a long weekend.  We worked it out for me to do my long run one of the days we are down here.  We knew the weather would be questionable to do anything outside today because of Hurricane Earl coming up the East Coast.  It was at least 200 mile off shore but we have been in a Tropical Storm Watch since yesterday morning.  We woke up today and John told me to check the weather and then head out for a run. 

I want to put it on the record that it was HIS idea for me to run my 12 miles today and not Saturday or Sunday.  Of course I went along with this crazy idea.  I was game because it did not give me a chance to think and over analyze my longest run to date!  So I got dressed, put my sneaks on, and headed out the door.  I brought 16 ounces of 1/2 strength Cytomax, 2 Espresso GUs, and $5 for water.

Before I left the house, I told John I was just going to stay on the boardwalk and be somewhat close to home in case the weather took a turn for the worse.  The boardwalk is 1.85 miles long and I could not imagine running that 7 times so that thought went out of my mind.  I just ran and enjoyed myself.  The wind was pretty bad at times and I saw some crazy rough waves.  I hit mile 9 and I was close to our street but I was not even tempted to head home at that point.  The boardwalk in Wildwood has 5 piers.  One pier houses the convention center and the rest are rides, water parks, and attractions.  I got to the convention center pier which is 5 blocks from our street and felt like I hit a wall.  The wind was so bad so I hung a right and ran the length of the pier.  I ended up running up and down that pier for 2 miles but it was better than running straight into the wall of wind.  The building was blocking most of the wind.  I hit mile 11, decided to head home and call it a day. 

My plan called for 12 miles this week and I made it to 11.55.  I am thrilled with this!  This is the farthest I have run to date.  I have done 10 several times in training and twice for races.  Two weeks ago I was supposed to do 11 for my long run and family life got in the way.  I think one of the boys was sick so that ruined my run.  I got the miles in but not the full long run.  It is also the furthest I have run outside.  Most of my long runs will be a combination of outside and on the treadmill.  My average speed was super slow but I am not going to worry about it.  I know a lot of it was the weather. 

I am ready for my rest day tomorrow if you can count a few miles walking on the boardwalk with the kids!

Bring on 13!!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your new longest-distance-ever! I love hitting those milestones (even if it's just a couple steps past where I got to last time)... the last couple of times I've surpassed my previous record I've actually clapped for myself. :)

    Have a great long weekend!

    ReplyDelete