Friday, August 6, 2010

How I got here

I was never a runner. In fact, I hated running. I hated everything about it. And then I had 2 boys. My boys are 3 and 2 years old. After I had my youngest, aka Trouble, I started working out with a trainer. The day he told me to get on the treadmill and run I told him he was absolutely nuts. I had also told him the prior week that I would never tell him I would not or could not do something so on the treadmill I went! Who ever thought I would fall in love with running!

My youngest was not an easy baby and that helped my desire to run! I ran to get out of the house and away from the crying!

January of 2009 I signed up for my first 5k for March of that same year. The week prior to the race all I could think about was the 10 mile race instead of the 5k. With some encouragement I switched my registration and ran my first race! I went into the race with no expectations of time other than wanting to run the entire 10 miles and I did. Later that year, I was talked into doing a sprint triathlon and I was hooked!

Fast forward to 2010...I ran the 10 mile race again in March and beat my time by 13 minutes! I will admit that I am not a fast runner but 13 minutes is still 13 minutes. I ran a 5k in June for the sole purpose of getting over my fear of a 5k. Like I said, I am not a fast runner and the fear was holding me back from doing one. Last weekend I did SheRox sprint triathlon in Philadelphia. For those of you that live in the NJ/PA/DE area, yes I did swim in the Schuylkill and I loved it! I cannot wait to do it again.

The rest of 2010...It is only August so I have plenty of time left in the year. I hope to do one more sprint triathlon in the next 2 months. I am registered for the Philly Marathon on November 21st. In fact, I registered for it the morning of the first day I could because I was afraid I would chicken out.

So here I am...2 years ago I hated running and now I am 5 weeks into a 20 week marathon training plan.

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo!! Can't wait to read your journey. It's crazy how so many of us absolutely hated running and then somewhere along the way fell in love.

    ReplyDelete