Monday, August 9, 2010

Weekend training and the upcoming week

I set my alarm for 4:15 Friday morning with the thought of my 8 mile long run before my monsters woke for the day. I decided to reset the alarm for 6 and go back to bed! I knew if I ran right then, those 8 miles would be on the treadmill. Now I have to confess, I really don't mind the treadmill (more on that later). However, all I could think about was running on the boardwalk Saturday or Sunday. I knew if I went back to sleep I would have to get a 4 1/2 mile and an 8 mile run in between Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday morning...my run started later than I originally planned. John took L for a walk on the boardwalk with his dad and I did not want to leave my mother in law alone with J and his two cousins for too long. I headed up to the boardwalk around 9:45ish and it was hot! I was feeling pretty dehydrated and dizzy when I got back to our street. I needed to run the last few blocks of the boardwalk and back to our street for me to hit 4.5 miles but instead I headed back to the house. I ended the run at 4.25 miles and felt terrible. I think it was my worst run in a long time. I need to start carrying water with me when I run at the shore or bring some cash to grab a bottle of water.

Sunday...I had an 8 mile run to do on Sunday and it was even hotter than Saturday! I opted to skip the morning run on the boardwalk for breakfast with the family. I started my run on the treadmill during naptime once we got home but L did not stay asleep for the entire 8 miles. I tosses him in my beloved BOB and finished my run outside with him.

My week ahead...I have 4 runs planned this week. My training schedule is at home but I am pretty sure I have a 5.5 base run, a 5 mile interval run, a 3+ish mile Lactate run (first one in this plan!) and a 10 mile long run. I plan on strength training twice and hoping to get out for a bike ride once. I am still working out the week in my head!

15 weeks from yesterday is the marathon!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the runs this week. I would've died on that Saturday run. I have to bring water (well, sports drink usually) with me if it's hot and even then I try to find as much shade as possible. The heat is brutal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 1st marathon is Nov 14th so we have just about the same amount of time to prepare for this crazy thing called a marathon. I wish you so much luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm running Philadelphia as my first marathon, too! We'll definitely have to share tips/stories along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to have some other first timers for support!

    ReplyDelete